Wednesday, February 15, 2012

1D. Jenn's Post

I went on the National Bullying Prevention Center website and I signed a petition for bullying. There was a variety of different options regarding ways to help prevent bullying such as signing a petition, taking online surveys, writing your comments or concerns about bullying, and most importantly, reading about bullying and how serious of an issue it is. I think that bullying is such a serious issue in today’s society and every lit bit that people contribute is one step closer to putting and end to it. Taking this type of action connects with democratic values because it is connecting to the issue revolving around bullying and the principles that our society goes by to help prevent it.
In my opinion, I think that teaching social justice in the classroom is extremely important. I think that students need to be aware of different issues happening in today’s society so that they can help change it. Depending upon the grade level and the severity of the issue, teachers should involve students to the appropriate extent so they can understand it and use their own minds to create ideas or solutions. We as future teachers need to decide whether or not we want to teach social justice and how it will affect our students. Personally, I want my students to be aware of social conflicts so they can come together as a community and help make positive changes.
I agree with the quote regarding the struggle for social justice because I do not think that many elementary teachers take the time to discuss different types of social justice with their students. Teachers do not have to spend a whole social studies lesson on social justice, but taking a few minutes away from their planning can really impact these young minds and make a difference.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment