Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Alanna's Post

My group decide to do our service learning project at The Bright Horizons Preschool where Jenn works. I though the experience overall was great. All the students eagerly participated and seemed to learn a lot from the lesson.We split the students into groups and each had a basic plan of talking about what bullying is, preventing it and recognizing it as well as reading "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?" by Carol McCloud.

For my group I decided to have the students to tell me something a bully would do. Most students said simple child actions that are considered bullying but are most likely common at this age; my brother stole my lunch, I got tripped, somebody called me stupid.I asked the students how they felt and did they think it was right for somebody to do this and act like this, of course they all said no.

We then read the children's book and talked about nice things we could do for each other, and how we could help stop bullying if we saw it or were apart of it. The one concept I kept stressing was to always tell an adult, to never try and take action on your own especially because some situations can get out of hand. I had the students list on a white board the names of people in their lives they could talk to if they had an issue, were being bullied, or witnessed bullying.

I loved working with Jenn's students, they were all so adorable and I think this lesson was great for them but like Melissa said it would be better with an older group of students but I think overall the concepts behind bullying and preventing it were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment